Tuesday, August 5, 2014





Playwright Leah Winkler is a half Asian half white person. Also she's Asian, too. In the picture above she is wearing a kimono. 


Q. Why are you such an asshole? Is it because you are partially Asian?

A. Yeah for sure. Mixed people are known as being assholes because we don't belong to one ethnicity so we're all like WHAT AM I and we lash out. We're also always like, talking about race and stuff which is really annoying. I'm also extra assholy because I'm half Asian but can often " pass for white" - which makes people both jealous, infuriated and confused. 

Q. Who do you hate more: tea ceremonies, chopsticks or white people?

A. You know? Everyone thinks I hate white people but I've dated so many white guys and a lot of my best friends are white*!!! That being said, yes. White people. 
Just kidding I fucking hate tea ceremonies- I'm not fucking British. 

*NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: Oh my god! Me too. We have so much in common! This is so illuminating! Diversity Week is really helping me see things in new ways. I'm so glad I thought of it.

Q. Why the fuck didn't you become a doctor? You're Asian. It's like a no-brainer.

A. Oh I'm actually a surgeon.  I do theater for fun and to stay in touch with the community. 

Q. Is the asshole part of you the white part or the Asian part?

A. Good question! It's definitely the white part because my dad is an asshole and sometimes I can feel the evil coursing through my veins. 

Q. Can you write something in Asian words? How do you do that on an American keyboard?

A. Fuck you Morgan you racist fucking bitch.*  I'm not a monkey. 

*NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: I knew she hated white people.

Q. What shows do you have coming up...oh wait, I don't care so don't fucking tell me. Seriously, don't answer this question unless you have something happening at MaYi. Then I guess I have to let you answer it.

A. For the record, Ma Yi rejected me in 2011. So now the only thing I have coming up is Diversity Awareness Picnic- directed by Morgan Gould coming to the Brick Theater in March-April 2015.*

*NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: I will allow this statement to pass without comment.

Q. Do you know that by being a theater artist, you are automatically an asshole? Why aren't you a doctor (please see question 3...)?

A. sin(π/6)*[√4] + (3!)^2 - (46,656)^(1/3) 
or 
sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 
or 
1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + ...... 
or 
x+2=3 
or 
cosx(1/cosx)

Q. Name 3 people you know who are bigger assholes than you. They should all be white people.


Q. Do you live in Chinatown? Why is your hair so shiny?

A. うるさい!クソババア!お前ねぇ、脳みそ腐ってんのか?溶けてんのか?ファックユー!
٩(╬ʘ益ʘ╬)۶

Q. Where are you from? Please don't be like "I don't know! I'm from everywhere! Lala!"

A. But I AM from everywhere---and according to New York Theatre workshop, by the year of 2050, WE'LL ALL BE MIXED!!! There will be no "every" or "where" we'll just ALL MELD INTO ONE ANOTHER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment